On Sunday afternoon, I woke up at 3:00, got up, dressed and started to make the preparations for my Mother's Day meal, for my mom, dad, sister and brother-in-law. I boiled the noodles for macaroni and cheese, got out my cake pans for the chocolate cake for mom (a favorite of hers), already had the chicken marinating in the fridge and started on the potatoes, for grilling out. I called a best friend of mine to get the recipe and got out my 'slicer' for the potatoes. I noticed that I wasn't getting them really cut right, and that they were a little on the thin side, so I (stupidly) thought, "I'll just lift the blade up a little". Well, without going into much detail (for Becky's sake - mostly) here's my hand after two Urgent Care visits. . .
I, officially cut the tip of my ring finger (rand hand) clean off. I screamed for Tim, and he got me paper towels to wrap my finger in, got both the boys out of bed, got their shoes on, put the 'tip' in ice and we were off! They couldn't sew it back together, but as long as I could still play, I could've cared less about what to do with the tip!!!
I went back on Tuesday, had the bandages soaked off (mostly . . near the end of the 1 1/2 of soaking it, she had no other choice but to 'tear' the rest off). I had it re-bandaged and will have to go back again, on Thursday for my last Urgent-Care-Supplied-Bandage. The rest of the time we'll have to gauze it ourselves. I DO, however have some wonderful and amazing blessings that have already surfaced from this accident. . .
1) It was only the tip, and NOT my whole finger!
2) I didn't do any major nerve damage
3) The Urgent care was down the street from our house
4) We only had to pay $200 for the entire visit
5) Tim - who is still unemployed, was home during this accident and was also home to take me to my second visit (which was very, very painful!) and hold my hand
6) My in-laws live very close, and they jumped out of bed to come pick up the boys from the UC and take them away from the situation 'at hand' - (ha, ha, ha)
7) My mom is an excellent cook, and could've finished the meal with her eyes closed!
8) God is good. . . and cares about me and even little things like fingertips. Praise God!!!
Needless to say, I wasn't able to make the cake, or make ANY more of the dinner, for that matter. Instead, my MOM had to finish cooking it. Which wasn't the point of having her over, in the least, but she was more than willing to do so.
I would sure appreciate any prayers. Today was very painful and at one point I thought that I was going to pass out! The nurse added a double layer 'moist' gauze, this time - hoping that I won't have to go through THAT again on Thursday. I pray that I don't! We are leaving for vacation soon, so please pray that everything is in tip-top (ha, ha, ha) shape!! Thank you!!!